May 19, 2006
OK... I'm back home finally.
Had some time to tidy my room, unpack and catch up with all the things that happend when I was away.
Now I have to write 2 reports, and I will finish all my subjects. To graduate there will be one step to take: write my thesis and have my final exam. So simple as that!
But before this is gonna happen, let me update you with what was going on in Macedonia.
My flight was on Friday. From Skopje I went to the same place as half a year ago- Struga near to Ohrid. Conference was great, however because I was late I didn't jump into the conference mood fully. Learning point for the future =)
On Monday we were chilling. Me, Patricia and Chris went to the city center. Ah! My Skopje! It was so great to be there again. It was the same city, but somehow different. Suprisingly, Monday at noon there were so many people in cafes! I thought people are at work, but there, at Vardar river, it seemed that it is weekend. Amazing.
My goal for Monday was to eat Burek (delicious traditional thing with pizza flavour). We went to the best place to have Burek- to Vegera.
I had some issues with money- I coudn't withdraw it from cash machine. Luckily I had some euro on me, then I found out that with Visa card I can withdraw money in the bank.
OK., now let me tell you something about my flat and people that live there (or visit this place veeery often).
The main inhabitant of MC flat is Patricia. Patty is from Canada (originally from Philipines) and I will be her successor. It seems, that she will hand over me not only her responsibilities, but also her room =)
Another person living there is Ravin. He is from India, and ane of my teamates. Ravindra arrived in Skopje 5 or 6 weeks ago, and he already started his work. Our term is going to start in June, but as Ravin does not have a predesessor, he has to build some base for his future work.
Then we have Titel from Romania. Titel is computer freeq, IT master, a person with skills that I would love to have. He came for CEED program, 3 months he is taking care of IS area of MC in Mace. Unfortunatelly Titel's visa expires on 7th of July, that is 3 days before my arrival. Titel- no worries! We will play Rummikub once again!
So basicly those are the inhabitants. Then we have guests. Often guests - as this flat also plays the role of being MC office.
We have Kire- current President and two of his vice presidents- Sandra and Boris. With Patty they were the ones who prepared transition for me and my team.
Oh yes- my team.
(drum rolls now!)
Toni, Vida, Kare, Maja, Ravin- Member Committee of AIESEC Republic of Macedonia.
Toni is President elect. Vida will be taking care of externals as well as finances. Kare is vice president projects, Ravin is responsible for exchange.
From those 4 people, I know Vida the most. We were facilitating MOSEM, then CEEMOS in Poland. I already know how to pretend her laugh =) With Toni and Kare we met half a year ago, but didn't have chance to get to know each other better. To Ravin I was introduced now, but it seems that we have many things in common. Well, at leat this one- we are two international members in Macedonia trying to understand everything that is happening around us.
OK., let me come back to the week schedule that we had for this week. We started some team bonding on Tuesedsy and Wedneseday with... cleaning the whole flat. Ah- it was sooo challenging! I think I never ever experienced this deep and careful house cleaning that we had during my stay there. And we were not finished! Two days were not enough =)
On Tueseday- the day before the GCD (General Cleaning Day) we organized International Evening. We cooked some more or less traditional meals, had a lot of macedonian beer and cards for drinking game. Note: It was the first time when I used Jelly on Wine for drinking game and 'ate' it with spoon! You can imagine how funny it was!
But you can also imagine why we decided first to make an International Evening, and then to organize GCD... Especially, that one of our guests forgot to close the tap, and we had a little flood in our bathroom...
When our appartment was already nice and shining, we could start our team to team transition (my individual meeting with Patty were happening pararerly).
We had 4 hours everyday, and on Friday evening we went to the little village outside of Skopje to spend some time together- just new team.
It was a true Team Day on Saturday- we were openly sharing our values, personal visions and other things, that we just have to know about each other. After this we started creating our team vision statement. Ahhhhhh! I missed the feeling of being a part of a great team since EB 2003 (at this point I wanna send greetings to Maciek, Lukas, Sonia, Marta and Monique!)
Anyway, I'm home now. But I'm asking myself what is home? From July, for upcoming 12 months Macedonia will be my home. I'm questioning again- what is home?
For me it's all about people. Here, in Poland I have my people. And in Macedonia? This is my wish- to have MY people there.
People who I know, I understand, who need me as much as I need them. People that I can rely on, who are to work with, and to have fun with.
Right now I already feel I miss...
... Ravin and his Indian- English, as well as his jokes about different people
... Toni, saing 'Nice' all the time, and pretenting Ali G talking about horse that cannot vote
... Kare huging Mroovka all the time
... Vida laughing, shaking whole her body while doing that (she laughs especially when you say 'something like that')
... and other people who made my stay there plesant (with special role of Titel and Patricia).
I miss burek, shopska everyday, saing' Ajde ciao' to say goodbye, the guy in the shop downstairs, horses on the way to market, mountains all around, thick hot chocolate, water for free in cafes and restaurants, the sound of railway station when the balcony whenever the balcony is opened... all this i miss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Majka, great, long and comprehensive report :)
seahorses are everywhere!!
I couldn't find a picture of Burek. how does it look like?
by the way, I'm waiting for more pictures of MC flat, MC office, Skopje, ... everything!!
and I have two questions:
- are you taking a break in studies now? I mean after the exam session.
- do you know already when you are leaving Poland?
Post a Comment